Friday, March 19, 2010

Hope


I saw my first daffodils of the season yesterday! It's always such a jolt to see them for the first time, because it's such a welcomed sight! I went back to that spot today to see even more beginning to burst.

It just so happens that I sold cut daffodils for the American Cancer Society this past month, so I'm looking forward to delivering those orders next week. No, I mean I am really looking forward to getting those flowers to everyone. I have always wanted to volunteer with the American Cancer Society somehow, so this is my first attempt at doing a little something. A friend of mine in Florida is employed by them and works hard with all the Relay for Life events all over the place.

Back when I worked as a reporter/photographer at the Sullivan Daily Times I interviewed cancer survivors and cancer patients during the walk. Theme-decorated tents up, luminaries lit, music playing... Their stories were heart-wrenching and I will never forget some of the women I spoke and shed tears with. Some of them I knew and others I had just met. But the few women I have interviewed represent the thousands of people this disease has chosen.

May a simple daffodil remind us that there is hope for spring and hope for a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment